Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter has come and almost gone.  Our Sacrament service today featured three speakers who did a wonderful job of explaining the atonement and what happens when we die as well as inspirational songs. For our combined adult meeting I had asked my friend, Val Christensen  to give us more understanding of the atonement of Jesus Christ.  Sharing his knowledge and testimony invited the Spirit, and he recommended two books that I also endorse: The Continuous Atonement by Brad Wilcox and Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson.  Both books have brought me closer to the Spirit and helped me live a happier life.
  After meetings, I came home and hid the 59 Easter eggs that Beverly had baked and dyed last night.  I hid them all outside around the house and the day was glorious; blue sky and warm sunshine.  The older kids found most, of course, but as I meandered through the obstacles I had hidden the eggs around with the 3 and 4 year-olds, there were plenty the older kids had missed so everyone got to find some eggs.  Hiding eggs in the soft snow is pretty easy.  You can hide them in plain sight with only a peek showing through the rim of snow around the  neck of the egg.  Only colored eggs need apply.
Between the lamb and ham, potatoes and salads, fruits and homemade ice cream and carrot cake, I won’t need to eat for a couple of days. Having our family around us is always special, and knowing they can be with us forever makes this day in particular special.
…….Incidently, if you want to know what happens to us-our mortal remains-when we die, I recommend the book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach.  It is fascinating and, I believe, her best work.

No comments: