Wednesday, October 10, 2018

A Bit of Wind


I picked my sweetheart up from the airport at 2:30 this morning.  We came home and went to sleep. She had been in San Antonio helping our 2nd daughter with the aftermath of childbirth, so she is accustomed to the Central Time Zone, and I am pretty well re-acclimated to Alaska time after our Eastern Time Zone trip to Maryland to see our 4th daughter’s family. She woke up before I did and had sorted 2 weeks’ worth of mail by the time I got up. I used to take care of the mail, but she complained that she never got to see it. Now she sees it all, and I only get the bills and statement I wanted to see in the first place. A perfect solution.
She announced to me that she was going downstairs to work out on the treadmill and, feeding off her enthusiasm for exercise, I said that I had thought about climbing Baldy this morning. I actually think about it every morning, but she had spurred into action and the other fall pre-snow projects seemed to be under control, so I began to prepare to follow through on my pronouncement.
It may seem odd to begin to prepare, but preparation itself has a beginning, a middle, and an end. I first had to dress for the mountain’s ascent which, in this season, is pretty easy. Our October weather has been unseasonably warm and all I needed was a flannel shirt, my hiking stick, and my boots. By the time I was dressed and had gone outside, I noticed that all of the things that I had stacked on the front porch as I cleaned up for winter were all over the driveway, stuck to the fence, and in the branches of the trees. A crate of apples that had been on the porch was upset with apples all over the place. You didn’t even need to listen to the howling of the wind to guess that it had been blowing during the night.
I picked up all the paraphernalia and put it away before I finally got my hiking stick, set my heart rate monitor on my wrist, started the trip recorder on my phone, put on my headset, and started the audiobook playing. I was finally ready at 10:44 and started up the trail.
The wind normally is not as fierce climbing up through the woods as it is at the house. The house sits out on a prominence where it gets the brunt of the wind and the storms that pass through Meadow Creek Canyon, but once you start up through the woods, things quiet down and the buffeting stops. That was partially true today, but the wind was gusty and whipped around a lot on the way up. By the time I got to sit down at my favorite overlook about 2/3 of the way to the top, I had spent a lot of time picking and eating the High Bush Cranberries, the Blueberries, the Low Bush Cranberries, and the Crowberries. I wasn’t in a hurry and my book was entertaining and the autumn berries were a treat.
During the last 1/3 of the climb, the wind picked up a bit. By picked up, I mean that it began howling like a banshee. The closer I got to the top, the harder it blew. I knew it was serious when I felt my hat was about to fly away and I took it off and threaded a finger through the strap on the back. A bit further along and I could no longer hear the book playing. That was because my headset had been blown off and I had to backtrack to locate it by the side of the trail. It joined my hat interwoven in my right hand’s fingers while my left hand was still occupied with the hiking stick. My glasses were the next to feel like they were about to leave me, so I took them off and hung the bow hinge over a button in my shirt with the glasses under the shirt. By this time, I was nearing the top and the wind had become awesome. I don’t remember every having been in wind that I literally could not stand up in. To advance on the summit, I had to crouch low or move forward on my hands and knees. What a surprise that there were no other hikers on the trail!
Finally, instead of standing on the very summit in victory, I reached up and touched the highest rock with my hand before turning around and being blown to the ground, jamming my phone in the mud, and scraping the heels of my hands.
Challenging? Yes. All in all, a perfect day for a hike.

               

2 comments:

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I remember a very strong wind on our drive up to Alaska the very first time. We were camping, as usual, and the wind was so strong. I got my blanket and stretched it out and then leaned into the wind and it held me up. Maybe not as awesome as your climb, but i don't think i was in danger of losing anything.