Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday, June 02, 2013


Today has been a sad day.  I have had the honor and privilege of serving as Bishop of the Bear Mountain Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for the past 5 years.  A Bishop is the ecclesiastical leader of a congregation and serves with two counselors.  In our church, all serve as unpaid volunteers.  The Bishop is called through inspiration and revelation by the Stake President.  The Bishopric calls through inspiration and revelation those who serve in the ward.  As Bishop, I have received that inspiration and have extended those callings to most of the members of the ward who almost universally have served faithfully.   Serving in this capacity has brought untold blessings to my family and to me, and while the responsibility is significant, the love I have received and have learned to give has far outweighed the burden of any responsibility.  Bishops generally serve for about 5 years, and it has now been nearly 5 years and two months, so being released was not a surprise.  Teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and bearing witness of Him has lifted me up and brought me closer to our Father in Heaven.  Watching the Gospel in action as faithful members pattern their lives after His has been a continual inspiration.  Being released from the chance to serve those who I have learned to love and respect leaves an ache in my heart that will not soon be filled.  

No comments: