Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday, June 01, 2013


I suppose it is fair to say that everyone has a particular candy that they like best.  Judging from my own reactions, that varies somewhat with how I feel and what is available.  Chocolate, for instance, is a favorite.  My real preference in the chocolate line is white chocolate, which really isn’t chocolate at all, but Lindt truffles melting their slow but delectable essence unleash an explosion of sensation that is hard not to love.  Even the milk chocolate truffles are pretty great, but my wife’s opinion would be much different.  She still savors the texture and flavor treat, but her preference is dark chocolate; the darker the better.  For me, dark chocolate is hardly worth bothering with which is one reason we are such a great companionship.  We can each pretend to sacrifice from a bag of mixed chocolates those which we don’t prefer and still provide a taste  delicacy for the other.  We also have learned to really sacrifice for each other, but that is another story.  At other times when chocolate isn’t really the thing, I love caramel.  I eat it only rarely because it isn’t good for me.  Health is not what I am talking about, however.  Wonderfully sticky caramels tend to handily remove my onlays from my teeth requiring another cementation, and Robert gets cranky when that happens too often, so I just deny myself.  When neither chocolate or caramel are on the sweetshop menu, I love hot cinnamon candies.  When we would go to the theatre in my younger days, I would by a big box of Ferrara Red Hots and start out slow, but soon I would be chewing up a mouthful and enjoying both the burn and the cinnamon flavor.  Hot Tamales I learned to like a bit later, and when Costco started carrying the 4.5 lb. bags, I could actually get burned out.   Then I discovered Atomic Fire Balls.  Fire Balls are cinnamon jaw-breakers that can be just smoking hot.  Not always, but sometimes.  They just have an occasional better batch, I guess.  Anyway, I have had to restrict my Fireball intake for 2 reasons.  Jawbreakers are really misnamed.  More appropriately, they would be called Toothbreakers.  My desire to bite them is pretty strong, and as I already indicated, Robert gets grumpy if he has to fix my teeth in an unscheduled appointment.  I won’t even mention the times I had to sew his face back together in an unscheduled manner.  The other reason I usually avoid Fireballs is that they are pure sugar,  and 30 calories a piece.  With 240 in the Sam’s Club container, that is way too many calories to calculate.  When my son-in-law Curtis asked for Carolyn’s hand in marriage, I told him that I wanted something from him first.  Of all the expensive things I could have asked from him to prove his dedication to her, I asked for a container of Fireballs.  I’m still waiting.   But I want you to know that Carolyn would be worth the risk.

No comments: