Thursday, October 2, 2008

Alone again, naturally


Gilbert O'Sullivan sang that song about 30 years ago and I still remember the words. It seems that it's sentiments are occasionally appropriate. Like now. Rebecca has been counting -not crows-but cuckoo birds in Lake Havasu City and Yuma on the Colorado River all summer as I mentioned previously. Beverly flew down to help her drive home. She showed up at the airport at 10:00PM on the 28th of September for a 2:45 AM flight hoping to get on a 10:45 flight which had extra seats. The airline wouldn't allow her to switch because it was not the same day as her scheduled flight (3 hours away). I guess they haven't discovered that the time thing is continuous. Anyway, she did get to Phoenix about 3PM the next day and she and Rebecca loaded up the car clear full (with a 400lb. lathe my Dad wanted to send me as well as lots of other stuff) and drove to Safford where they stayed the night. They drove out spent the night in Santa Fe and arrived in Colorado Springs to visit Sarah and Chris. They plan to leave tomorrow (Monday) morning, spend the night in Driggs, Idaho with Shawn's parents, and then drive North for Alaska, probably spending about 4 days on the road. No hurry, but today we got 6 inches of snow.

Last Monday was my birthday and, although my wife left me, the ladies in my office made a beautiful cake, took me to eat at Red Robbin, gave me some cash and told me I had 20 minutes in Home Depot to spend it, and generally made me feel special for the day. That evening Robert and Bethany et. al. came over and made me spaghetti and fed me way too well. Friday Carolyn and I and her kids went apple-picking, and Saturday we spent the day canning applesauce. Robert and Bethany and family as well as Carolyn and Curtis and family spent the night and we watched General Conference today. Jennifer and Tyson stayed home as their kids have both had Hand, Foot and Mouth disease and they didn't want to infect anyone. So, it has been an enlightening week. The kids have protected me from loneliness, winter arrived, and I got to play with my cute grandchildren. Catheryn had patience for me.



















I remembered from childhood a picture of me under a blanket and I couldn't find it, but Mom did. My other favorite was me sitting up. Still, these pictures of Catheryn are awfully close. It is just possible that I was almost that cute once. Not much danger of that now.

The older kids were popping around like ping pong balls. It is such a thrill to see them all playing together, enjoying each other. Keith and Rachel fit in well too, when they are not incubating a disease. Love marches on.

No comments: